Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Concept Design





Collage based on the Brooklyn Site. As a class we were asked to make a collage based on our individual impression of the Brooklyn Site. I thought of a few words that I would describe the site; windy, sun exposure, industrial, masonry design. I was able to find pictures that were able to illustrate my views of the site.
Collage based on the word "Edge". Then we were asked to make a collage only based on the word "Edge." I started to think about my site, my program and the actual word.  I choose a picture of the ice cubes because water is the one element that can go from having an edge to being edgeless depending on the form it takes. I also choose the curved cobblestone picture because curves don't have edges but the cobblestone shows the edges within the curves.

Collage based on my program. My program is an urban eatery and a culinary school.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie - would be useful if you gave a very brief description of what you are trying to illustrate in each collage - it would allow us to see your thought process as you try to convert these in concept designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Murph. The collages are compelling but you need to give some verbal explanation of what your intentions were, or what the assignment was all about. Do let your audience guess.
    What does each collage represent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting and at the same time diverse selection of images! I am curious to know what made you choose the hollow sections on the program collage and the ice cubes on the edge collage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hello Stephanie, it seems that your collages are based on a non uniform grid: some of the visuals are bigger than others and as a general rule they are in x,y relationship with each other. On that note, I would be very careful with having images overlapping only once as they seem more random rather than an actual statement. Think of your collages as a visual narrative. Are all of the images equally important? How do you organize their placement? Is there one or more focal points in your composition? Are all the visuals colorful, desaturated, both? Do they "stick out" similarly? As soon as you think of these aspects you will be able to create relationships, and hierarchy so your story is more straightforward.

    Also, we miss elaborated text description. It would be great to verbally define your ideas as well. This process will help shaping your site/ program/ design concepts rigorously. I like how for your "site collage" you mentioned wind, sun, exposure etc. It means that you are taking under consideration climate and natural phenomena as possible drivers for your design as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to see the program collage reworked to not be so literal - this collage shows too much of the program, and I do not get the feeling of your space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with Jill, its a very functional program collage but doesn't give much idea about what type of space you're going to create. I think it again comes down to trying to generate a strong concept/ narrative for what type of eateries / food areas you want in there and I think you need to get your head around that fairly quickly to help drive your design. The image in the centre of this collage tells me more than all the other images combined.

    ReplyDelete